There are many advantages to using CPT's unique technology over standard metallic castings.
- Mineral castings dampen vibration (internal-caused by machines moving components and external-caused by other sources like power generators, fork lifts) thus improving the finished machined part's accuracy and cutting tool's life. Mineral castings dampen vibration 10 times better than cast iron.
- Cost Reduction:
- Mineral casting, unlike cast iron or steel, is cast at room temperature, otherwise referred to as "Cold Process." Many components such as steel slide ways, linear rails, ball screws, inserts, wire ducts, coolant troughs and ducts can be cast into the part during the casting process. All these components become an integral part of the finished casting. The Cold Process enables polymer concrete to integrate both plastic and metal into one casting eliminating many steps, which significantly reduces the machine's assembly time. The customer benefits from receiving a ready to assemble base and a reduction of MRP requirements. Polymer concrete castings can often be cast to finished tolerances thus eliminating the need for finish machining. All feature cast tolerances depend on the mold's accuracy and construction material.
- Thermal Stability:
- Mineral castings are thermally stable. They do not react to rapid temperature changes. The coefficient of thermal expansion is similar to steel.
- Energy Efficient:
- Mineral castings require minimum energy resources, relying only on the exothermic reaction of the resin and hardener to cure. The castings are cast at room temperature and no external energy souce is required.
- Noise Reduction:
- Mineral casting is composed of 92% stone, which deadens sound similar to natural granite. Sound deadening means that machines run quieter which also results in compliance with OSHA requirements.
- Mineral casting is lighter than steel or cast iron. It is about 1/3 the weight of cast iron and yet it has a high weight to stiffness ratio.
- Chemical Resistance :
- Mineral casting is resistant to coolants and cutting fluids. It resists electrolytic fluids used in the Electric Discharge Machining. Mineral casting is resistant to salts and alkali and is completely non-metallic.
- Mineral castings are quick to manufacture. Once the mold is complete and qualified, production starts immediately. The capacity is one casting per mold, per day. If there is no additional work to be done to the casting (grinding, post grouting of components) it ships to the customer the second day. Production capacity is limited by the number of molds. If more than one casting per day is required then more molds are built. This "just in time" production reduces inventory requirements which results in additional savings.
- Mineral castings can be cast in various colors by incorporating various oxides and synthetic pigments into the mix. This reduces the need for painting which saves cost and time.
- Polymer concrete, once fully cured, poses no threat to the environment. It can be disposed of similarly to conventional concrete.